Located on Ruggles Avenue, the Althorpe estate was built in 1889-1890. The architectural firm of Peabody and Stearns designed the house in the Colonial Revival style for prominent Philadelphia lawyer John Thompson Spencer, who was active in turn-of-the-century plans for the improvement of Newport’s public spaces. Salve Regina acquired the property in 1964. It is now a student residence and known as Founders Hall.
Links to archival photographs of the following properties:
Source: Campus buildings of Salve Regina University
Founders Hall once served as the main residence for the Althorpe Estate and was designed by the famed architectural firm Peabody and Stearns for John Thompson Spencer, a Philadelphia lawyer and railroad tycoon. Built between 1889 and 1890, this Colonial Revival-style structure features a wraparound porch, hipped roof with pedimented dormer windows, turrets, and cornices with dentils.
Sources: RIAMCO and Campus buildings of Salve Regina University
The Hedges now serves as housing for students. (Photo by Kindra Clineff)
Sources: Campus buildings of Salve Regina University and The Cultural Landscape Foundation