What is RefWorks?
RefWorks is an online research/citation management tool that allows you to collect, store, and manage citation information. With RefWorks, you can:
- create your own database of references
- organize your references into folders
- export references from article databases, websites, and library catalogs directly into RefWorks
- generate in-text citations and bibliographies in your choice of citation styles such as APA or MLA style
Getting Started with RefWorks
RefWorks has been recently updated with a new look. Please take a tour of the new RefWorks website and watch this video which introduces you to the new layout and functions in RefWorks.
Accessing RefWorks: Click here to access RefWorks.
- If you are off-campus, choose the off-campus link to RefWorks. You will then be prompted to enter your name (firstname lastname) and your 14 digit library barcode in order to access RefWorks. Your library barcode is listed on your Salve ID card. If you do not know your library barcode please call the Circulation Desk at 401-341-2291.
- You do NOT need to use our group access code to access RefWorks from off-campus unless you are using the mobile version of RefWorks, called RefMobile, on your smartphone. If you wish to use RefMobile, the group code will be emailed to your when you first register for a RefWorks account or you can call the Info Desk at 401-341-2289 to get the group code.
Creating an Account: New users must first create a free individual account in order to use RefWorks:
- After accessing RefWorks, you will come to the "Login to Your RefWorks Account" page.
- Click on Sign up for an Individual Account
- Fill in all fields in the New User Information box
- Enter your email address in the E-mail Address field (does not need to be your Salve email)
- Click on Register
- Please keep track of your username and password for future use
NOTE: A confirmation email will be sent to you with your user login and password
This guide uses content & was adapted from content created by Larissa Garcia at Wheeling Campus University Library at National Louis University. Used with permission. Other content in this guide is from the RefWorks Help Guide.