- HELIN Catalog - find books, DVDs
- HELIN OneSearch - find books, ebooks, DVDs, and articles together in one search
- CINAHL - find articles in large collection of nursing journals
- Nursing Full Text Plus (OVID) - find articles in nursing journals
- Science Direct - find articles in medical, health, nursing, nutrition & life science journals
- PubMed Central -find articles in biomedical and life sciences journals
- Salem Health - search online encyclopedias on medical and health topics
- Gale Virtual Reference Library - search a collection of online encyclopedias and dictionaries
- Films on Demand - search a large collection of online documentary videos
- All Nursing databases
- All Psychology databases
- Find a specific journal
- Browse Nursing e-journals
Find Nursing Articles By Topic
To find articles by topic, search by keyword in one of the library's nursing-related research databases. These databases index articles in a large number of nursing and medical journals by topic, and allow you to search for articles by keyword. If you are off-campus, you will be asked to enter your name and library barcode number. Enter your name as firstname lastname (put a space between your first and last name NOT a dot) and the 14 digit library barcode on your Salve ID. If you don't know your library barcode, please call 401-341-2289 and we can look it up for you.
CINAHL with Fulltext See also: In-depth CINAHL searching guide
The world's most comprehensive source of full text for nursing and allied health journals, providing full text for more than 520 journals indexed in CINAHL. Includes coverage of over 1,200 professional journals in nursing and 17 allied health disciplines, with coverage as far back as 1982.
- Usually when you first access CINAHL through the library webpage, you will see the basic search page. For easier searching, click on the Advanced Search link under the search box.
- If you are not sure of the correct terminology for your research topic, try using the CINAHL Headings link to look up your topic. This link is located along the top of the screen in the blue bar.
- Important search limiters available in CINAHL: Full text - limits your search to articles where the complete full-text will be available directly in CINAHL. Peer reviewed - limits your search to articles that come from scholarly academic journals. Research article - limits your search to articles that directly report the results of the author's own original research study or experimentation. Publication type - choose type of document.
A collection of full-text online nursing journals hosted by Ovid.
Science Direct See also: Science Direct searching guide
Contains a large collection of full-text science, technology, medicine, and nursing journals.
- Go to Advanced Search.
- Use quotation marks around phrases.
- Under Source, choose Subscribed sources
A digital archive of life sciences journal literature, developed and managed by the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) at the U.S. National Library of Medicine (NLM).
Contains more than 25,000 full-text articles from 42 journals published by American Psychological Association and allied organizations. Coverage includes general psychology and specialized basic, applied, clinical, and theoretical research in psychology.
Sage Journals Online
Includes over 460 journals in business, humanities, social sciences, and medicine. Includes nursing journals such as Nursing Science Quarterly, Journal of Research in Nursing, Journal of Family Nursing, Journal of Holistic Nursing, and Journal of Transcultural Nursing.
A full-text and image database comprised of publications focused on the area of complementary and alternative approaches to health.
To limit your search to books located only at McKillop Library, select "Salve Regina University" under the drop-down menu labeled "View entire collection."
You can request that a book be delivered to another HELIN library for pickup.
After locating a book you would like, simply use the request button, enter your name and library barcode number, select a pick-up location, and submit. For more detailed information on requesting books, see our guide to requesting books.
Call numbers on most nursing & medical topics start with R. Books with R-RZ call numbers which are in the Salve Main Collection are located on the 3rd floor. Call numbers group books together by subject.
Call numbers for Nursing:
R Medicine (General)
RA Public Aspects of Medicine
RC Internal Medicine
RG Gynecology and Obstetrics
RM Therapeutics. Pharmacology
RS Pharmacy and Materia Medica
48 Nursing assessment
48.5 Diagnostic techniques. Laboratory tests.
48.6 Nursing diagnosis
49 Nursing care plans
49 Nursing records. Charting
49.5 Computer applications
55 Problems, exercises, examinations
65 Medicine and surgery for nurses
74.7 Preceptorships in nursing education
75 Graduate nursing education
76 Continuing nursing education
81.5 Research. Experimentation
82 Nursing as a profession
82.8 Nurse practitioners
84.5 Philosophy of nursing. Nursing models
85 Nursing ethics
85.2 Religious aspects
85.5 Standards for care
86.3 Nurse and patient
86.54 Transcultural nursing
86.7 Practice of nursing. Economics
87.N87 Nutritional care. Feeding patients
89 Nursing administration
90 Teaching. Patient teaching. Nursing education
90.3 Health Promotion. Health education
97 Public health nursing
98 Community health nursing
120.C45 Chronic diseases
120.E4 Emergency nursing
120.F34 Family nursing
120.H65 Home nursing
120.I5 Intensive care
120.L64 Long-term care facilities
120.O9 Outpatient facilities
Reference sources - encyclopedias
Searchable collections of online reference books such as encyclopedias & dictionaries:
Salem Health - collection of online encyclopedias on medical and health topics
- Encyclopedia of Human Genetics and Disease
The APA Publication Manual is available in the library on the 1st floor at REF Z253 .P83 2010b
How do I...?
- ...find articles?
- Find an article
- Find a journal
- Find a database
- Set up journal and search alerts
- What is Google Scholar?
- Evaluating websites
Ask a Librarian -- Ingrid Levin
Information Literacy Librarian
McKillop Library Room 130
401-341-2289 Info Desk
To check for availability of a specific journal title, go to the Journals List. Enter the title of the journal you are searching for. You will get a listing of the print and/or electronic availability of this journal. If a journal is available online, this list will tell you which library database contains the full-text, and for which years we have the full-text available. You can browse the electronic journal issues by clicking on the database name.